How to Care for Dry Chapped Lips
Are you struggling to keep you lips in tip top shape? You’re not alone. Dry chapped lips are a common problem for ladies and gentlemen alike, especially in cooler weather. That’s why I am sharing a few practical tips to help you heal cracked and chapped lips. I hope this help you improve your lip game.
1. Keep your lips clean. That means making sure you removing excess lip glosses, pigments and such at the end of the day. I recommend applying a little olive olive oil to a cotton ball and applying to your lips. The oil helps to break down and remove makeup applied to the lips. Follow with a gentle cleanse with a wash cloth.
2. Moisturize your lips 2-3 times a day or as needed. Apply a light mist of water and follow up with a product that penetrates and moisturizes. I recommend the Senica shea moisturizers scented with essential oils (Lanbeli, Lavender Mist, Bay Bay or Koko Kwem). For example, the lavender in the Lanbeli shea moisturizer calms and soothes the skin. The jojoba, vitamin E and other oils and humectants (draw moisture) penetrate the skin cells, seal in moisture and help heal the skin.
The Blemish Balm can also be used to moisturize the lips. It’s organic cocoa butter with herb infused oils and beeswax. It tastes like honey-ed chocolate. The comfrey promotes skin cell regeneration and the calendula calms the skin.
3. Protect your lips before applying makeup. If you wear lipstick, try moisturizing your lips with a thin coat of the shea moisturizer or blemish balm before using your lip gloss or lipstick. Some lip care ingredients help color last longer but can be drying to the skin on your lips. (I was going to say lip skin but that sound off. :-/)
4. Exfoliate dry lips. Remove dead layers of skin once a week with a wash cloth, soft tooth brush or gentle scrub.
5. Stay hydrated! Drinking water keeps you hydrated from the inside. Be intentional about drinking an an adequate amount of water daily.
6. Be aware of irritants that cause your lips to break out. Irritants could be food, a cosmetic product or dental care products.
These are six easy tips you can implement right now to improve the appearance of your lips. Please give them a try. You should notice an improvement in dry/chapped lips within one week, if you are consistent.
What’s your best tip for caring for dry or chapped lips?
Please share in the comments below, we’d love to read them.